· Ensuring that Malta’s foreign policy objectives on European Union, bilateral, regional and global issues are pursued. The Ministry also coordinates the negotiation and conclusion of bilateral agreements.
· Ensuring active participation in the European Union’s Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP).
· Maintaining and enhancing Malta’s relations with international organizations, including the United Nations and its Agencies and the Commonwealth.
· Through Malta’s Overseas Development Policy, addressing poverty through development, targeting specific action areas such as climate change, ICT for development and democratization.
· Participating in election observations missions organised by the European Union and other international organisations.
· Ensuring active participation in regional fora and initiatives of direct relevance to the Mediterranean region, namely the Euro-Mediterranean Process, the European Neighbourhood Policy, the Western Mediterranean (5+5) Dialogue and the Med Forum.
· Promoting the enhancement of dialogue between the EU and the Arab League through concrete initiatives.
Role of Embassies
· Representing Malta in bilateral and multilateral fora
· Fostering and promoting Malta’s relations with other countries
· Ensuring Malta's active role as a member of the international community.
· Promoting Malta’s image overseas
· Promoting Malta as an attractive investment and tourist location.
· Servicing needs of Maltese nationals overseas.